Many countries adopt causes or special interest groups to highlight and promote during a given calendar month. The U.S. is particularly prolific at creating "national month" events to promote businesses, nonprofits, and other interests. Although there are a good many national month observances in the spring, April is one of the few months that doesn't have a long list of funny observations. Compare April events to those in July, which actually honors Lasagna Awareness Month, and you'll see there are plenty of significant causes to choose from.
The following events, industries, and causes are observed all month long in April unless otherwise indicated. Even cannabis (fast becoming legalized), Florida tomatoes, celery, and soft pretzels are honored, April 1 through April 30—every year.
April is "National Month" Calendar
- African American Women's Fitness Month
- Alcohol Awareness Month
- Black Women's History Month
- Celebrate Diversity Month
- Confederate History Month
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- Financial Literacy Month
- Foot Health Awareness Month
- Fresh Florida Tomato Month
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month
- Keep America Beautiful Month
- Lawn and Garden Month
- Mathematics Awareness Month
- Month of the Military Child
- National Arab American Heritage Month
- National Autism Awareness Month
- National Canine Fitness Month
- National Cancer Control Month
- National Cannabis Awareness Month
- National Car Care Month
- National Child Abuse Awareness Month
- National Couple Appreciation Month
- National Deaf History Month (March 13 to April 15)
- National Decorating Month
- National Donate Life Awareness Month
- National Fair Housing Month
- National Fresh Celery Month
- National Garden Month
- National Humor Month
- National Internship Awareness Month
- National Jazz Appreciation Month
- National Minority Health Month
- National Month of Hope
- National Multiple Birth Awareness Month
- National Occupational Therapy Month
- National Parkinson's Awareness Month
- National Pecan Month
- National Poetry Month
- National Safe Digging Month
- National Soft Pretzel Month
- National Soy Foods Month
- National Straw Hat Month
- National Volunteer Month
- National Welding Month
- Occupational Therapy Month
- Pets are Wonderful Month
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month
- Records and Information Management Month
- School Library Month
- Scottish American Heritage Month
- Second Chance Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Sexually Transmitted Infections Awareness Month
- Stress Awareness Month
- World Landscape Architecture Month
International and One-Day Observances
Because you may be in the business of working with internationals, it's important to remember the participation of other countries. Here are a few international honorees, as well as some causes that are observed globally:
- April is International Guitar Month, recognized in several countries.
- Ontario, Canada recognizes April as Sikh Heritage Month.
- April is National Pet Month in the United Kingdom, although the U.S. waits until May to honor its non-human family members.
- International Amateur Radio Month is observed globally in April.
- International Pillow Fight Day is observed on April 6 in 2020.
- World Autism Awareness Day falls on April 2 in 2020.
- World Health Day is April 7, 2020.
Turn These Observances to Your Advantage
Is there a way your business can benefit from promoting itself during "April is National...Month"? April offers more than enough causes and interests to choose from. There's something here for just about any business and industry (from health to heritage to heirloom tomatoes). It's just a matter of figuring out how to use the observance or event to your advantage—after all, someone else already created the occasion for you.