Comodo Antivirus Software Review
A Look of the Features in Comodo's Free Antivirus Software
Comodo Antivirus is certainly one of the best free antivirus programs available.
This is due mostly to their proprietary Defense+ technology that assumes an unknown file is a potential threat, making this free antivirus program almost 100% effective. Most other antivirus programs assume unknown files are safe and only concern themselves with specific files that have proven to be a problem.
Important: Comodo Antivirus provides constant virus protection, also called on-access or resident protection, for free. This means that Comodo Antivirus can completely replace antivirus software from companies like McAfee and Norton that charge for their software and for yearly access to updates.
Pros & Cons
Even though there are some drawbacks to using Comodo Antivirus, I do still recommend it:
- Several other programs and system settings are included that you may want to disable
- Can only be used at home--no business use
- Very large setup file (170 MB) that may take awhile to download
- Initial updates may take a while to complete
More Information on Comodo Antivirus
- Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP are the supported operating systems for Comodo Antivirus
- Comodo Antivirus includes a full range of detection engines for viruses, spyware, rootkits, and other malware
- Includes protection from "all" infection sources like email, games, IM, etc
- Can scan the PC's memory after the computer first starts up
- 64-bit program versions are available for those using 64-bit Windows operating systems
- Comodo Antivirus updates periodically to stay current with new threats
- Blocks malicious websites by scanning URLs
- Can optionally provide added security by using Comodo's free DNS servers on your computer
- Supports drag and drop to scan files
- Real-time scanning can be disabled for any application, and the virus scanner can be set up to avoid scanning certain files/folders
- Includes Defense+ technology that doesn't assume anything is safe, yet doesn't bother you with needless warnings either
My Thoughts on Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Antivirus is in a class of its own as an antivirus and antimalware solution. The fact that a free program with free updates can almost completely protect you from malicious software should have you replacing your current antivirus program as soon as possible, especially if you're (gasp!) paying someone for the one you have running today.
One drawback is that sometimes it seems as if I can't get Comodo Antivirus to open. The program is still running in the background and can launch file scans automatically and on-demand, but the program interface itself is sometimes buggy and won't fully open. This may or may not be an issue for other users - it's just something I've noticed a handful of times while using the software.
Tip: The Comodo Antivirus installer asks for your email address and permission to change your browser homepage, both of which are optional and you should feel free to decline if you're not interested. You should also choose to Customize Installer during installation so you can decline if you wish, the otherwise-automatic installation of the Comodo GeekBuddy and Comodo Dragon Web Browser software.