Sony Crackle: Stream Free Movies and TV Shows
What Is Sony Crackle?
Sony Crackle, formerly Crackle, is a website where you can stream TV shows and full-length movies for free. It is owned and operated by Sony Pictures Entertainment.
How Does Sony Crackle Work?
Just register with the site (free); pick a show or movie that you want to watch; and hit play. It's that easy. If you have a Roku, Playstation, Xbox, Apple TV, Android TV or a similar device, you can also stream videos to your TV. And if you want to watch shows on the go, there's a free app that you can download to your cell phone. Get app on iTunes | Get app on Google Play | Get app for Kindle | Get app for Fire TV
Wondering how all of this can be free? It's simple. Instead of charging a membership fee, like other streaming services, Sony Crackle just runs the occasional commercial. It keeps the site going, and it keeps you from having to pay for the service.
Sony Crackle works across a wide-range of devices. To see if your tablet, cell phone, gaming system, TV or streaming system is supported, go here.
For the service to work as intended, you''ll need to meet these current system requirements:
- Adobe Flash player 18 or greater
What You'll Find on Sony Crackle
Sift through the video offerings on Sony Crackle, and you'll find hundreds of shows (both new and old), as well as an impressive collection of full-length movies from Columbia, Tri Star, Sony Picture Classics and Screen Gems, including many blockbuster movies with big-name actors. You'll also find original series that you can't watch anywhere else.
Make the Most of Sony Crackle
- Subscribe to your favorite shows, and Sony Crackle will add new episodes to your queue as they become available. The site will also use this information to learn your viewing habits, so it can recommend other movies and shows that it thinks you'll like.
- Add interesting shows and movies to your Water Later list as you come across them, and you'll always have something to watch when you log in
- Sign up to receive emails (you can opt in on the account settings page), so you'll be the first to know when new shows and movies get added.
- Link all of your devices, so it'll be easy to access your Watch Later list and watch shows and movies on the go.
Good to Know
- The video library on Sony Crackle is constantly changing, so if there's something you really want to watch, don't wait too long. It may not be available forever.
- If you have kids, you can set up parental controls to block explicit content.
- Sony Crackle supports Closed Captioning.
Save Money with Sony Crackle
Use Sony Crackle as a replacement for cable, satellite TV, movie rental services and other streaming services that charge a subscription fee. If you cancel your Netflix or Hulu subscription and use Sony Crackle instead, you'll save at least $95.88 a year (more if you subscribe to a premium plan or multiple plans). That'll buy a whole lot of popcorn and movie snacks.
More Free Streaming Services
Popcornflix and TubiTV are two other free streaming services that are worth checking out. If you aren't sure that Sony Crackle would be a good replacement for your current streaming service, perhaps the combination of all three will be enough to convince you to cancel your monthly subscription(s).
Trying to Cut Your TV Costs?
With all of the cable, satellite and streaming services that are available today, it just doesn't make sense to overpay. Check out these options, and see if you can find a way to cut your TV and movie-viewing costs. You may just be surprised how easy it is to get more for less.
- Ditch Your Cable: Affordable Alternatives
- Best Cable TV Alternatives to Save You Money
- A Review of Hulu.com
- Where to Get Free Movie Rentals
- Free Redbox Codes
- Sharing Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime
- How to Get Free or Cheap Movie Tickets
- MoviePass: Watch Unlimited Movies at the Theater for One Low Monthly Cost