Liked Too Many Facebook Pages? How to Remove Them, Quickly and Easily
How to Unlike Facebook Pages in Bulk
Have you liked too many pages on Facebook?
There are many reasons why people who love sweepstakes may end up with far too many liked pages on Facebook.
- You might need to like a page to enter Facebook sweepstakes
- Even sweepstakes that aren't hosted on Facebook often give you bonus entries for following the sponsor's pages.
- You might like pages to get news about new chances to win, discounts, or special offers.
The number of pages you follow can add up quickly. So why is that a problem?
While you may love the companies you follow, Facebook puts a limit on the number of pages you can follow at one time. As of this writing, the limit is set at 5,000. That sounds like a lot, but over years of entering Facebook sweepstakes, you may find that it's not enough.
Liking too many pages also makes it harder to see updates from friends, family, and companies you really want to keep up with.
Plus, Facebook ads let companies target their audience based on the pages they follow, so extra likes could influence the ads you are shown.
So what do you do if you are getting close to the limit or if you just want to clean up the pages you've liked on Facebook? You'll have to make room by unliking some of those pages. Here are some easy ways to do it, especially if you feel daunted by how many pages you've liked.
How to Unlike a Single Facebook Page
If you are browsing your timeline and come across a post from a company you no longer want to follow, unliking the page is simple: Start by hovering your mouse over the company's name at the top of the post (without clicking on it).
A box will pop up with some information about the company. At the bottom of that box, you'll see buttons that show that you've liked and/or followed the page. Just click on those buttons to deselect them and the company will no longer appear in your timeline.
You can also choose to click on "unfollow" but continue to like the page. This means that posts from the company will no longer appear in your timeline, but you will continue to be a fan of the page.
Another way to remove a single page from your Facebook likes is to navigate to the Facebook page, hover your mouse over the button that says "Liked," and wait for a menu to appear. Then select the option to "Unlike this Page."
But if you're dealing with removing a significant number of pages, unfollowing one at a time is tedious and time-consuming. Luckily, there's a trick that makes it easier to remove many Facebook pages at a time.
How to Unlike Multiple Facebook Pages at Once
Here's a quick and easy way to unlike many Facebook pages:
- Log into your Facebook account and click on your name at the top right-hand corner of the page, next to "Home".
- Click on the "Activity Log" button. (A shortcut to go directly to the Activity Log page is by copy-pasting this URL into your browser window: http://www.facebook.com/YOUR-FB-NAME/allactivity. Substitute your actual Facebook name for YOUR-FB-NAME).
- On the left-hand side of the screen, select the link for "Likes and Reactions" and then select "Pages, Page Likes and Interests". This displays a handy list of all of the pages you currently have liked.
- Each page listed has a grey pencil symbol on the right-hand side of the screen. Clicking the pencil gives you an "Unlike" option. Use this option to stop following the page. If you're approaching the limit of the number of pages you are allowed to have "liked", you'll need to do this rather than simply unfollowing the page.
- Work your way down the list, removing pages you no longer need. Voila!
Helpful Tips For Unliking Pages
- If you're not sure what a page is about or whether you still want to follow it, right-click on the page's name and choose the option "open link in new tab" or "open link in new window" to open the page without losing your place in the list. Hovering over the page's name also gives you a preview.
- Make sure you really want to unlike the page. Many sweepstakes sponsors run giveaways on a regular basis. Having their posts appear in your timeline is a quick and easy way to find out when they are giving away more prizes. In some cases, you might want to simply stop the page from appearing on your Facebook news feed.
Keeping Your Facebook Page Tidy
It's a good idea to go through your Facebook likes on a regular basis to make sure that you don't have too many pages clogging up your account. It's much easier to stay on top of your likes if you don't have to do it all in a rush because you've bumped up against the limit.
Reviewing the pages you have liked on a regular schedule, such as once a month, makes the job more manageable. It's easier to remember why you liked a page if you are checking it regularly and it won't take so much time to go your the list. It also allows you to quickly catch any changes, such as pages that are no longer active and are therefore pointless to follow.
It's also a good idea to review your Facebook apps on a regular basis. If you no longer need the app, there's no reason to continue to give it permission to access your page or your personal information. Reviewing your app permissions helps keep your account safe and secure.