Apple Camp is a free camp for kids that takes place each summer at Apple retail stores. These three-day camps give kids the opportunity to use Apple products to create projects that showcase their creativity.
Apple Camp takes place at your local Apple Store, and while most locations participate, you can contact your local store to double-check.
Apple Camp's Workshops for Summer 2020
Each summer there are different workshops available. This year, kids can explore music, coding, and movie making.
Kids get to choose which of these areas they would like to focus on and then spend 90 minutes learning and creating. Each 90-minute session is split into a three-day course.
Apple Camp 2020 details aren't out just yet, but for a look at what they've done in the past, these were the workshops that were available for the summer of 2019:
- Creating Your Own Song With GarageBand: Kids learn how to build their own songs with Smart Instruments.
- Designing Your Dream Park with iPad: Kids create a park for their community with the Procreate app.
- Coding Fundamentals and Programming Robots: Kids learn basic coding and create animations
- Directing Your Own Movie with Clips and iMovie: Kids learn movie making and create movie trailers.
Apple Camp Eligibility
Apple Camp is for kids ages 8 to 12.
Signing Up for Apple Camp
Visit the Apple Camp website and choose your local Apple Retail Store.
If registration is currently open, you'll be able to select the workshop your child would like to attend to view the availabilities. Choose Details for all the information on that workshop, and then Sign up to continue to the signup form.
Log in with your Apple ID and then fill out the form. You're asked for the child's name, t-shirt size, emergency contact, and their guardian's information.
Use the Agree and send button to complete the sign-up.
If there's a wait list, indicated by the Wait list text next to the workshop name, you won't see the "send" button, but instead one called Join the wait list. If registration isn't yet open for the year, enter your email address into the space provided to be alerted when you can start registering for Apple Camp this summer.
What to Bring to Apple Camp
Kids will need to bring their parents or a legal guardian to each day of Apple Camp and they'll need to stay for the duration.
Apple Camp Restrictions
There's a limit of one Apple Camp workshop per child, per summer. Space in the Apple Camp is available on a first come, first served basis.
Apple Camp Field Trips for Students
If your kids want even more fun at the Apple Store, they can persuade their teacher to sign up for a field trip to the Apple Store. Here are the field trip themes available, each encouraging students to use technology to expand their creativity:
- Getting Started with Coding: Students learn coding basics and then use those skills to solve problems and work with robots.
- Experimenting With Photography & Video: Use an iPhone to learn photo and movie making skills and techniques.
- Exploring Creativity Through Art & Design: Art and design session where you can learn to draw and paint on an iPad.
- Making Music & Beats: Learn how to make music on iPad with GarageBand.
Apple Camp field trips are for K-12 students, teachers, and youth groups. They last anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes and can have up to 30 attendees.
Free Workshops for Adults at The Apple Store
There's no reason to be jealous of the Apple Camps for 8-12 year-olds when adults can take a variety of free hour-long workshops at their local Apple Store.
In the past, these workshops have included learning how to use an Apple Watch, how to download music, how to use a Mac, iPhone basics, iPad basics, how to use iCloud, how to take pictures and videos with an iPhone, how to edit photos, how to create movies with iMovie, and how to use Keynote for Mac.