Free Apple Camp for Kids
Free Apple Camps for Kids in Coding, Movie Making, and Book Authoring
Apple Camp is a free camp for kids that takes place each summer at Apple retail stores. These three-day camps give kids the opportunity to use Apple products to create projects that showcase their creativity.
Apple Camp's take place at your local Apple Store. Most locations participate in Apple Camp, but you can call the location near you to verify that they are taking part, or use the link at the top of this page to browse for Apple Camp events by location.
Apple Camp's Workshops for Summer 2018
Each summer there are different workshops available. Here are the workshops taking place for the summer of 2018.
- Coding with Sphero Robots: Kids are explained the basics about coding, with a new concept introduced each day. They will practice problem-solving and join small groups to program their Sphero robots to do things like make sounds and change colors. After they've understood the concepts and practiced on the robot, they can apply their new skills towards their own games.
- Telling Stories with Clips: Campers will brainstorm ideas and learn how to tell a story using photos, videos, and music. They'll learn to shoot videos and edit their content in groups with other kids, using the Cips app on iPads to include opening and closing titles. They'll share their videos with everyone on the third day.
- Beat Making and Songwriting with GarageBand: After learning how a song is structured and how beats form a song, the kids will create music, add vocals, and edit their creations with GarageBand for iPad. Songs will be shared with the group on the final day.
Kids get to choose which of these areas they would like to focus on and then spend 90 minutes learning and creating. Each 90-minute session is split into a three day course.
Apple Camp Eligibility
Apple Camp is for kids ages 8 to 12.
Signing Up for Apple Camp
Visit the Apple Camp website and choose your local Apple Retail Store.
If registration is currently open, you'll be able to select the workshop your child would like to attend to view the availabilities. Click Details for all the information on that workshop, and then Sign up to continue to the sign up form.
Log in with your Apple ID and then fill out the form. You're asked for the child's name, t-shirt size, emergency contact, and their guardian's information.
Use the Agree and send button to complete the sign-up.
Note: If there's a wait list—indicative by the Wait list text next to the workshop name—you won't see the "send" button, but instead one called Join the wait list.
What to Bring to Apple Camp
Kids will need to bring their parents to each day of Apple Camp and they'll need to stay for the duration.
Apple Camp Restrictions
There's a limit of one Apple Camp workshop per child, per summer. Space in the Apple Camp is available on a first come, first serve basis.
Apple Camp Field Trips for Students
If your kids want even more fun at the Apple Store, they can persuade their teacher to sign up for a field trip at the Apple Store. Here are the field trip themes available, each encouraging students to use technology to expand their creativity:
- Elevating Ideas to Action: Students identify an issue they care about it, and then raise awareness about it through a project, like by making a poster or podcast.
- Exploring Creative Storytelling: Students use their creative to create interactive stories they can share with their classmates.
- Developing Multisensory Learning: Students with disabilities can use the Skoog music and sound cube to build music and make stories.
- Getting Started with Coding and Robots: Students learn coding basics and then use those skills to solve problems and work with robots.
Apple Camp field trips are for K-12 students, teachers, and youth groups. They last anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes. Every student has to provide a copy of Apple's Permission Statement for Minors, which you can get by visiting the link above.
Free Workshops for Adults at The Apple Store
There's no reason to be jealous of the Apple Camps for 8-12 year-olds when adults can take a variety of free hour-long workshops at their local Apple Store.
These workshops include learning how to use an Apple Watch, how to download music, how to use a Mac, iPhone basics, iPad basics, how to use iCloud, how to take pictures and videos with an iPhone, how to edit photos, how to create movies with iMovie, and how to use Keynote for Mac.