How to Delete and Clear Autofill Entries in Your Internet Browser
Mistype Something? Get Rid of Unwanted Autofill Suggestions
Autofill or autocomplete is a feature of most modern internet browsers. Autofill makes filling out forms easier by saving information that you've used in the past.
But what do you do when that information is out of date, misspelled, or just plain wrong? Here's how to clear or delete autofill suggestions.
Why Should You Clear Autofill Suggestions?
If you enter sweepstakes or otherwise fill out forms on websites, autofill can save you time by reducing the amount of typing you need to do. It can replace the need for a form-filling program like Roboform.
Autofill suggestions usually appear as a drop-down list of options when you double-click on an empty field in an entry form. The suggestions might also be pre-filled when you open a form.
The problem is that unwanted autofill suggestions can build up over time. Perhaps you made a typo when you entered your name way back when, or you moved and have a new address now, or you filled out a form for a friend or relative that one time but your browser never lets you forget.
Now those useless autofill suggestions keep appearing when you fill out new forms. And they not only make it harder for you to find the right suggestions to use, but they also put you at risk of making a mistake. You could potentially miss out on a win if you misclick and send your prize to the wrong address, for example.
Luckily, it's simple to remove unwanted autofill suggestions. Follow these tips to clear your autofill and prevent unneeded suggestions from appearing when you fill out forms:
* Clearing your autofill suggestions is quick and easy, saves you time when filling out forms, and prevents costly mistakes if you pick the wrong suggestion.
* Deleting unwanted autofill entries is one of a number of maintenance tasks you should do regularly when you enter sweepstakes.
How to Delete Autofill Suggestions in Chrome
To get rid of unwanted autofill suggestions in Chrome, highlight the suggestion you want to clear by hovering your mouse over it, then press the "shift" and "delete" keys at the same time.
You can also see the information you've saved and delete any entries that are no longer needed by taking the following steps:
- Click the hamburger button, which looks like three dots stacked on top of each other, at the top right-hand side of your screen.
- Click the "Settings" option.
- Under the "Autofill" section, click "Addresses and more".
- Click the hamburger button next to any entry you want to delete, then select "Remove".
Clearing Autofill Entries in Internet Explorer
To delete individual autofill suggestions in Internet Explorer:
- Double-click the text field so the drop-down box of autofill options appears.
- Hold your mouse over the option that you want to remove from autofill so that it's highlighted. Don't click on it.
- Press the delete key on your keyboard.
This should clear the unwanted suggestion from your autofill results.
If you'd like to remove all of your autofill suggestions, click on the "Tools" icon at the top right-hand side of your screen, then select "Internet Options" and pick the "Content" tab.
Look for the AutoComplete section and click on "Settings." At the bottom of that section, there's an option to "Delete AutoComplete History."
You can choose whether you want to delete forms, passwords, or both.
Removing Autofill Options in Microsoft Edge
If you want to remove ALL of your autofill suggestions from Microsoft's Edge browser:
- Open "Settings" by clicking on the three dots icon and selecting it from the menu.
- Select the "Privacy & Security" tab on the left side of the page.
- Scroll down to "Clear Browsing Data" and select "Choose What to Clear."
- Select "Autofill data (includes forms and cards)" and click the "Clear" button.
If you don't want to keep your autofill data at all, you can also select the option on the same page to clear this data when you close your browser.
To clear individual autocomplete suggestions in MS Edge, click on "Settings" at the upper right-hand corner of the screen, then "Passwords & autofill". Under the "Autofill" section, select "Manage forms". Click the X button next to any entry you want to delete.
Deleting Autofill Entries in Firefox
As with Chrome, if you want to delete individual autofill suggestions in Firefox, highlight the suggestion you don't want to receive any more and press the "shift" and "delete" keys at the same time.
If you want to delete all of your autocomplete information in Firefox:
- Click on the hamburger button.
- Select "History" and then "Clear Recent History."
- Make sure that the option for "Form & Search History" has been selected and that the time range is set to "Everything."
- Confirm that you want to clear the data.
Clearing Autofill Suggestions in Opera
Opera has an easy way to remove either individual or bulk autofill suggestions. To access it:
- Start by opening the Settings gear icon at the left of the screen.
- Click on "Advanced".
- Look for the "Autofill" section and select "Addresses and more".
- From there you can edit individual entries or disable the autocomplete option altogether.
Don't Stop After Clearing Your Auto-Fill Suggestions!
If you enter sweepstakes, there are a few bits of maintenance that you should do to keep things from getting overwhelming. Keeping your autofill suggestions up-to-date and accurate is one of them.
And you can also keep your sweepstake email under control by unsubscribing from unwanted sweepstakes newsletters.
These things take only a few minutes to do, but they make entering sweepstakes more efficient and more enjoyable.