Learn About Streaming Free Music Online with Spotify
A Review of the Popular Streaming Service
Spotify is a service that lets you stream music online through its website and various free apps, and it's one of the best ones out there. It's like a radio that continually delivers songs, but each station is customized to play only music it thinks you'll like.
You can define specific songs and artists that you want to listen to, as well as stream by genre, mood, and popular existing stations, and Spotify will mix that music with recommended, related content.
- All the music is free
- Supports popular devices
- Apps and website are designed nicely and easy to use
- No limit on the number of playlists you can create
- A 30-day trial lets you use premium features for free
- Supported by advertisements
- Can skip only six songs per hour
- A user account is required to use the app
- Some features don't work in the free version
- Radio stations can be added by searching for single tracks, albums, and artists, as well as through a recommended list or genre
- You can find music by the most popular and viral playlists in different countries or around the globe, as well as from within your friends list and the New Releases section
- Playlists can also be found by Spotify's recommendations based on your current music, via new releases, and through genres and moods, such as Chill, Party, Country, Workout, Decades, Indie, and Sleep
- Whole albums can be played in shuffle mode
- Spotify can play music you already have on your computer, as well as sync those songs to your mobile devices
- Songs you like can be added to the My Music section or to their own playlists, which Spotify will stream while also giving you recommended music
- Connecting to Facebook lets you easily share what you're listing to with your friends, as well as view what your friends share, from right inside the app
- Use the Guides page at Spotify's website to learn how to do many different things, like share stuff on Facebook, create playlists, search for music, and more
- You can get better sound quality, a zero ad experience, ability to play any song, offline play, and more features with a premium subscription
The Bottom Line
Spotify is a great way for you to get to know new music while at the same time listening to the songs you already know you like. Because Spotify is free, you can't always listen to just the songs you want to hear, but that's really not such a bad thing if you're interested in discovering new music.
Both the Windows and iPhone app are easy to use and did not cause me troubles while listening, which is great. Plus, the website is minimal and not difficult to navigate.
Spotify limits the number of songs you can skip to six per hour. This means you can skip a song every 10 minutes, on average, which means you have to listen to just a few songs continuously before you can skip one, which I think is very reasonable.