tMany sweepstakes fans swear by the book The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. For example, Carolyn "The Contest Queen" Wilman has written about how the Law of Attraction helps her win more prizes on her contests website. So is it worth a read?
Can The Secret Help You Win?
When it comes to having a lucky attitude, anything that is fun and makes you feel more positive can help you be more successful.
Whether you enjoy having lucky charms around your computer when you enter sweepstakes or you get a thrill when you find a four-leafed clover, if you feel upbeat and motivated to enter sweepstakes, you will win more. The best way of boosting your chances of winning prizes is to enter more sweepstakes.
In this sense, many of the ideas discussed in The Secret can help you if they resonate with you.
Some of the Core Ideas Behind The Secret's Law of Attraction
The Secret has some interesting ideas in it. It provides a roadmap of what you should do, and not do, to increase your success. It claims to have discovered an immutable law of nature that people can use to attract the things they want, such as prize wins.
Here are some of The Secret's core principles:
- If you focus on something with emotion, you will attract that thing to you. This is a law of nature, like gravity, and it always happens. This is called the Law of Attraction.
- It doesn't matter if that emotion is positive or negative, you will attract the thing you're concentrating on. If you focus on losing weight, you will attract weight. If you focus on winning sweepstakes, you will win more often.
- Positive and negative emotions both attract, but positive emotions are stronger. Love and gratitude are the most powerful emotions.
- Time is an illusion, and the things you want: those great sweepstakes wins, that perfect body, etc., you already have. So you should act as if you have the things you desire, and you should be grateful for those things.
- Big things are as easy to attract as small things. It's as easy to attract a million-dollar prize as a hundred-dollar prize.
- You should act in a way that is consistent with your desires, or else you can contradict your wishes.
Negative Things About The Secret and Its Law of Attraction
It's compelling to think that you can believe your way into getting all of the things you want in life, which explains why The Secret is so successful. However, there are a few ways that believing in the Law of Attraction can be cruel or harmful.
- The Secret says that nothing bad will happen to you unless you attract those things to you. Personal responsibility is important, but some terrible things happen to people that are out of their control. Blaming them for attracting those things to them is cruel.
- The book states that the Universe is full of abundance, and can give you everything that you wish for. But what happens if two people wish for the same thing with equal power? Some resources are finite, and it bothers me that The Secret doesn't acknowledge that.
- The Secret says that focusing on illness attracts illness to you, so you should focus on being healthy and feeling great instead.
It takes this to the extreme when it says that if someone wants to talk about their illness, you should change the subject or walk away. This robs friends and family of our comfort and seems both cruel and unscientific.
- The Secret focuses heavily on wishing, and almost completely ignores doing. No matter how hard you focus on winning sweepstakes, you've still got to put in the time of finding and entering the giveaways if you expect to win.
Conclusions about The Secret
Overall, some of the advice is over the top and unbelievable, but there are some good ideas to take away from The Secret.
For example, it's interesting to pay attention to often how the things you think about manifest around you. You might find yourself less inclined to complain or focus on negative things. And fostering a positive attitude can only be good for you.
The Secret can be worth reading, as long as you take it with a grain of salt. The belief that you can win is vital to being successful with sweepstakes since it keeps you entering even during dry spells. However, don't be afraid to ignore the parts of The Secret that don't make you feel more positive and empowered, or to decide that it doesn't work for you at all.