ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall Review
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall is a really good free antivirus program that combines a strong firewall defense with an antivirus/anti-spyware engine. A built-in firewall, plus an antivirus service, packs professional-like features into one program at no cost.
Important: ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall provides constant virus protection, also called on-access or resident protection, for free. This means that ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall can completely replace antivirus software from companies like McAfee and Norton that charge for their software and for yearly access to updates.
- Built-in firewall
- Automatic updates
- Scheduled scans
- Web security and privacy toolbar
- Works with Windows
- Uses high amounts of system memory
- Interface can be overwhelming with all the options
- Takes a long time to install
- ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall offers real-time protection to remove spyware, Trojan horses, worms, bots and viruses.
- Browser toolbar to block companies from collecting personal data.
- Enable custom firewall alerts for many different types of intrusion attempts.
- Cloud-based response technique quickly identifies unsafe programs.
My Thoughts on ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall
Right from the start, ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall scanned the memory and boot sector for viruses, all before the program even finished the install, which is great.
The built-in firewall is easy to configure and monitor. There are nice advanced features like locking the hosts file from being edited and putting up shields immediately after logging in to ensure the firewall can block threats before they load.
Overall, this program has many nice and advanced features that are normally only available in paid products.
Tip: ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall automatically makes browser changes and may install a toolbar unless you choose Custom Install during setup. Just select Skip all offers if you want to avoid this.